Partial Ownership Vs. Full Ownership
Partial shares are a great way to have ownership of a condo in Summit County, Colorado at a fraction of the cost.
If you’re looking at condos in Summit County, and the price looks too good to be true, it probably is because it may be a “Partial Share”. They are NOT a Time Share and have very important differences.
For example, a 1 bed, 1 bath condo in the heart of Keystone Village at River Run that normally sells for around $500,000 in March 2021, can be bought for 1/4th of the year for $125,000.
Important things to know about partial shares:
- You would own a partial portion of the real estate. In many cases 1/4th or 25%. It would be recorded on a General Warranty Deed, just like any other real estate purchase.
- There is an owner’s agreement that spells out the calendar usage, accounting, maintenance items, property management, etc… and each owner’s agreement is different. You get a chance to review it once you’re under contract during your due diligence period. This must be signed at closing.
- Most owners are very flexible and fun and enjoy trading weeks. Owners usually live in different places all over the world and sometimes will never meet one another in person.
- Most require all cash. There are some lenders who will lend occasionally, but it’s rare. I have a list I can provide if you need it. Sometimes the seller will finance you as well.
- Quarter shares usually get 1 week per month, and Christmas and New Year’s weeks are rotated amongst the owners so that each owner gets to have Christmas once every 4 years.
- When you’re not using your week, many times it’s okay to have the property manager rent it out, and you take the profits from that week. If you do this, it will often help cover your basic Homeowner Association dues.
- In Summit County, most of our condos, townhomes, and even single-family homes come fully furnished. The furniture, including dishes, towels, and all essentials, are included in the sale as a convenience to the buyer and seller.
Partial shares are an excellent opportunity to have a ski condo that you and your family can return to year after year, build equity, and avoid wasting money on rental fees.
A Time Share, sometimes called vacation ownership, is a way to own a specific piece of time in a resort, or in a shared resort system. The time is usually the same time every year, for example, a week at Thanksgiving. Time shares are professionally managed much like a hotel. You share the unit with others who are also purchasing time in the same place. Time shares are usually in a hotel or a condominium community.
*A note on Time Shares: Time Shares are available for sale at some resort properties, including but not limited to Copper Mountain, Breckenridge, and Keystone. Real Estate Agents in the State of Colorado can sell Partial Shares but NOT Time Shares. That’s not to say that some agents won’t try or don’t have the experience.
Feel free to call your Time Share company and ask for more information. As always, call us and we can also direct you to local companies who sell them.